Our aim is to support our children and young people to grow healthily, safely and responsibly and to become active citizens who do their bit for society and for the environment.
The Lancashire Healthy Schools Programme
The Lancashire Healthy Schools Programme has been developed under the National Healthy School Standard. It is a partnership between Lancashire LEA and the Health Authorities of South Lancashire, North West Lancashire, East Lancashire and Morecambe Bay.
The programme, which Manor Beach has chosen to opt into, is designed to:
- Contribute towards raising pupil achievement
- Contribute towards enhancing the health and well-being of pupils, staff and the wider community
- Support the delivery of the PHSE and Citizenship curriculum
- Show OFSTED that our school adopts a systematic and constructive approach towards addressing some of the more difficult issues
- Provide a strategic framework to plan and deliver the most effective course of action to address local and government education and health priorities
- Provide access to training and resources for teacher’s professional development.
- Help embed the school within the wider community.
- Contribute towards staff retention and raising morale.
- Promote pupil involvement and participation, thereby improving social relationships between pupils and between students and staff.
- Contribute towards lowering truancy rates and reducing exclusions.
- Demonstrate to prospective employees, students and parents that the school takes young people’s health and well being seriously.
Crucially in relation to School Grounds Development, a Healthy School
‘…understands the importance of investing in health to assist in the process of raising levels of pupil achievement and improving standards. It also recognises the need to provide both a physical and social environment that is conducive to learning.’
Design a bag for Aldi
Our school entered Aldi’s competition to design a bag that encourages people to eat fresh fruit and vegetables. Children learned a valuable lesson in why we use reusable bags, and have also been thinking about healthy foods at the same time! Fingers crossed for a winner – watch this space!