The Pupil Premium is funding in addition to the school’s budget. Schools are free to decide how to allocate this funding to best support the raising of achievement for the most vulnerable pupils.
Our key objective in using the Pupil Premium grant is to narrow the gap between pupil groups and to ensure that all children, regardless of their home background, have the same opportunities to learn and achieve. Through targeted interventions we are working to eliminate barriers to learning and progress. For children who start school with low attainment on entry our aim is to ensure that they make accelerated progress in order to reach age related expectations as they move through school. It is also important that all our children are receiving a ‘whole’ life experience regardless of background and so, children are also given the same opportunities to participate in additional school tuition such as music lessons and out of school activities should they so wish.
Barriers to educational achievement
- Low language levels. Many children have language difficulties or delay when entering the foundation stage. This leads to social communication, reading and writing difficulties.
- Broken family structures which leads to stress.
- Low parental engagement.
- Loss and bereavement.
- Mental health issues in the family and /or child.
- Frequent movement of schools.
- Socio-economic disadvantage.
- Housing Issues i.e. poor quality temporary housing/a lot of private rented accommodation
- Poor health and diet
- Low attendance
- Safeguarding and welfare issues which may lead to social service involvement.
- Poor resilience of parents/carers and children
- Unemployment/ worklessness of parents and carers
- Lack of choice for high school
- Conflict between families in the community which spills over into school.
- Witnessing domestic violence
- Victims of abuse
- Victims of neglect
- Growing up in a household in which there are adults experiencing alcohol and drug use problems
Pupil Premium Strategy 2019/2020
Manor Beach Primary School
Manor Drive, Thornton Cleveleys,
Lancashire, FY5 1EU
T 01253 853879